Tuesday, July 2, 2013

First Day Sightseeing

One of the nice aspects of having a whole month is that we don't have to wear ourselves out.  We decided today would be the "get the Eiffel Tower done" day, followed by a casual scenic boat ride and a nice dinner at our next door neighbor, Le Cepage Montmartrois.

We took our local bus to the foot of Champ Mars, the park that faces the Eiffel Tower.  After a nice lunch (sorry if I mention food a lot; some friends of ours have noted that we seem to plan our travels with restaurants at top of mind), we walked around the corner and found ourselves in what may well be the most tourist-dense acreage in Europe.

We don't expect this to be our last visit here.  I have promised myself I'd get some pics from the observation tower without benefit of the elevator to take me there.  But today we just didn't want to spend the time, and (don't tell Anita) I wasn't sure my legs were ready just yet.

From there we walked down the Seine a mile or so to the Bateau Mouche pier, where we took the one-hour quickie ride up the Seine as far as Notre Dame and back.  This is the oldest sightseeing boat service in Paris.  We will probably return for the classic dinner cruise, complete with searchlights pointing out the couples kissing along the banks of the Seine.

We finally made it to the restaurant that I've been looking forward to for most of the year that we've been planning this trip.  Le Cepage Montmartrois is next door to our apartment.  Indeed, when we cross from the street-side door to the inner building where our apartment is, we can peek into the restaurant's kitchen.  It lived up to all our expectations.

First, the service was very friendly.  They assigned us a cute-as-a-button waitress who was more eager to practice her English than we were to trust our meal selection to our French.  The manager came over to greet us; it seems we, too, are neighbors, since he lives just a couple of doors down from us.

The food itself was excellent.  Anita took the safe route with shrimp, I gambled on andouillet.  Both tasted great, and after I've survived the night I'll see if I can find out what the andouillet consisted of.  Our waitress was skeptical of whether I would like it, and she was very relieved when I pronounced it delicious.  My Cajun roots seem to have served me in good stead.

Second, the ambiance was so, well, Parisian.  The Montmartre area was home to a huge number of famous artists (more on that in a few days), and the influence has taken root in the neighborhood.  This bit of tile work, (about ten feet wide, dominates the inner dining area.  With that kind of art on the walls, you're expected to enjoy your meal!


Tomorrow, the Basilica of the Sacred Heart and the impressionist movement's 'hood.